Southern Hospitality

Sunday, August 20, 2006

Movies at the Drive In Theater

Last night I went to a drive in theater. Drive in movies are going the route of railroad trains. They are becoming more rare and infrequent yet neither is completely extinct. Occasionally one can hear the far away choo choo of a freight train, and once in awhile, one can see a drive in marquee along the side of a busy highway.

I hadn't frequented a drive in since I was in kindergarten. At that time, my mother took her children and some neighbors to a county drive in theater during the summer. We saw an Elvis Presley flick. I think it was Kissin' Cousins. I ate popcorn until I got a stomachache. Those were the good old days.

There are still a few drive in movies in Alabama. The one I visited last night had four separate theaters. Not being aware of most of the current movie plots, my hubby and I decided to see Talladega Nights. We figured that we probably couldn't go wrong with a movie that had an Alabama theme. Talladega, Alabama, boasts a famous Nascar race track. Unfortunately, the movie was as stale as last year's popcorn. To put it another way, Talladega Nights would make
Smokey and the Bandit seem like Hamlet by comparison.

Oh, well, the ticket cost was reasonable: five dollars per adults and two dollars per children. There were a lot of families with children present. I am pleased to report that the children were well behaved, the air was clean and not too humid, and my hubby and I didn't get eaten alive by mosquitoes. Furthermore, the theater offered food not normally sold at most movie places. They sold hamburgers and french fries that would rival Burger King.

We also took our dog with us. When we arrived to buy our tickets, we saw a sign that said no pets allowed, so hubby had to hide doggy between his legs on the floorboard until it got good and dark outside. Then he was allowed to sit in my lap and hang his head out of the window. Of course, our pooch is well behaved, so he was not a problem.

On the way home, our doggie slept contentedly in my lap with his head nestled on my left arm. I am thrilled to report that I did not get a stomachache from the popcorn ingested at this movie. That made the drive home infinitely more bearable. Even though the movie was subpar, hubby and I decided that the drive in theater was worth trying again soon. Next time we will make sure we check out the movie selections more carefully before we pick our choice. I suppose we could also read what Roger Ebert says. And yes, should we go again, the dog is traveling with us incognito.

6 Comments:

  • At 8:38 PM, Blogger Dawn said…

    Sounds like the demise of skating rinks, too! We do have lots of trains around here, though. They go roaring through town at all hours of the day and night.

    Thanks for stopping by. It was fun going down that memory lane once again.

     
  • At 1:08 AM, Blogger rena said…

    I haven't been the drivein in ages!! We had one in our town that had to make way for condos, but the owner bought land further up the same highway and built another, brand new, state of the art drivein..it's the only one in the entire Lower Mainland and is quite busy. Thanks for giving me the bug..think I'll check it out before summer ends.

     
  • At 9:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    ROFL you hid the dog! Sooo cool.

     
  • At 4:26 PM, Blogger Nicole said…

    What a lucky doggy you have.

    Thanks for the visit to my blog.

     
  • At 11:13 PM, Blogger Susie said…

    We haven't had a drive in for about 20 years or more. I think they're slowly fading away everywhere...
    Thanks for visiting my site :-)

     
  • At 8:16 AM, Blogger Daniel Berry said…

    We haven't been to a movie of any kind in quite a while. I have read some passable reviews of the one you mention here. Most of the movie plots today are pretty poor, though. And I've noticed that we increasingly think "silly" or "stupid" is the same as "funny," or that comedy has to be vulgar. Of course, I don't think this movie claims to be a comedy. Well, maybe we can get back to a few good old family movies that actually have substance.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home