Southern Hospitality

Saturday, August 05, 2006

Chitlin Jamboree

The local paper said that the Chitlin Jamboree will be discontinued this year. This is an annual fall event held each year in Clio, Alabama. Clio is an even smaller town the one that I reside. Clio's claim to fame is being the birthplace of famed politician George Wallace and the hometown of baseball great Don Sutton. Not bad for a town with less than a thousand people.

Clio has also received the public spotlight for the last decade or so since it started hosting its Chitlin Jamboree customarily held in late October. For those of you who are unfamiliar with chiltins, they are hog intestines usually prepared by deep frying. Although I eat a wide variety of pork products, I draw the line at eating anything from the intestines of an animal. My mother said that her father used to love chitlins. However, she said the odor was so bad that she had to leave the house when her mother or their cook prepared the dish.

I have attended only one Chitlin Jamboree. As well as I remember, I saw a few homemade floats that accommodated a couple of teen and preteen queens dressed in their gowns and tiaras. There were also a wide variety of arts and crafts booths, some local country bands, and the ubiquitous smell of freshly cooked pork products. In my opinion, the most brave hearted and iron stomached individuals would sally forth to the booth that sold the chitlins.

A few years ago, the organizers tried to get fancy and change the name to "The Pork Festival." Thank goodness common sense prevailed and the name was switched back to "The Chitlin Jamboree. " There is nothing worse than country folk trying to put on airs. That is like tying a pink ribbon around a mule's tail.

This year's jamboree has been canceled for a lack of participation. That is indeed sad. The annual traditions are the glue that binds southern society together. This is especially true in the rural communities. Each year one looks forward to and counts on the pancake suppers, bake sales, church revival meetings, carnivals, and Christmas cantatas. Whenever one of these events is taken away, it feels as though the fabric of one's soul has suffered an irrevocable tear. This tear can only be mended with the reinstatement of the old tradition or the establishment of a new one.

There is a ray of hope with the Chitlin Jamboree. It may be reinstated next year if there is enough public interest. Also, the older generation has been saddled with the burden of planning and conducting this event. There are not enough sunset age citizens left in Clio who can carry the torch. The younger generation must step up to the plate if this institution is to remain a part of the town tradition.

At least I can comfort myself with the thought that come March, the town of Opp, Alabama, will hold its annual Rattlesnake Rodeo. I am told that rattle snake meat is quite tasty. I can always wash the meat down with a cool RC cola. On the way home, I can stop by a mom and pop store to buy a moon pie for dessert. Can't beat that for southern cuisine.

5 Comments:

  • At 9:25 PM, Blogger Daniel Berry said…

    Yes, that is sad. I like chicken livers, but Lydia can't stand them; so when I want them, I have to get them at a restaurant--which isn't hard around here. I imagine Don Sutton has referred to being from Cleo on the Braves broadcasts, but I hadn't remembered that.

     
  • At 9:01 PM, Blogger rena said…

    I've always wondered what a chitlin was...now I'm not so sure I'm happy to be in the know! Sort of reminds me of when I asked my pioneering grandpa what a prairie oyster was! At least there are no prairie oyster festivals...or at least none I can think of!
    Thanks for the peek into your southern world!

     
  • At 10:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Rattlesnake meat is surprisingly wonderful. It's crunchy because of the spinal rings or whatever they are called, but it tastes very good. Try it!

     
  • At 1:50 PM, Blogger sweetmagnolia said…

    I'll definitely have to try rattlesnake meat, Lee. May have to wait until March for the next Rattlesnake Rodeo

     
  • At 11:57 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Sorry to hear that chitterlings festival has been cancelled. I really enjoy go down there just hear the gospel singers, chitterlings eating contest and get to eat some chitterlings. Hope they do bring it back. Drove from birmingham to Clio just for that.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home