Southern Hospitality

Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Major Tourist Attraction


My hometown cemetery has an interesting grave marker. According to local lore, a nineteenth century man named William T. Mullens was a notorious alcoholic. His wife warned him that if he died because of his drinking, she would erect a tombstone in the shape of a whiskey bottle as a warning to others. Mullens died drinking so his wife kept her promise. She erected two tombstones in the shape of whiskey bottles. There is a large bottle as the headstone, and a smaller bottle at the foot of the grave. Both bottles have removable stone corks. Ripley's Believe It Or Not magazine supposedly ran an article about the unusual gravestones sometime in the 1930's. Until recently our local phone book directory listed the Whiskey Bottle Tombstone as a "major tourist attraction." Around February 1982 or '83 the Chattahoochee Valley Historical Society named the tombstone as its "historical attraction of the month." Some tourist attraction website even lists a telephone number for the gravesite. Uh, huh.

Only in a small southern town!

1 Comments:

  • At 9:32 PM, Blogger Daniel Berry said…

    Hi, Sweet Magnolia. That's a very interesting post about the cemetery gravestone. I'd be interested to know which town in Alabama, since I live in Jackson, Alabama. I'm also a dyed-in-the-wool Southerner, even though I went to New Jersey for seminary training and lived for two years in the state of Maine. Feel free to write me at: berrys2@bellsouth.net and I hope you'll take a look at my complete profile. I just looked at yours. Thanks for commenting on my blog. The posts will all be quite different, on a variety of subjects; but I hope you continue to check it out. I'm sure glad you didn't turn on word verification, since I'm totally blind, and wouldn't be able to see the words or pictures in order to leave a comment.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home