Southern Hospitality

Thursday, July 27, 2006

Eccentrics

It is darn near impossible to be southern without being somewhat eccentric, and in some cases, completely eccentric. Down South, we tend to refer to eccentric people as being "colorful." We are downright proud of our local characters. They aren't objects of our scorn, for deep down, we know we have some peculiarities too. Some individuals are just more peculiar than others.

Take my late neighbor, Mr. B. He would often don nothing but his underwear when he set out to mow his front lawn. Mr. B. did this in broad daylight. No one complained or reported him to the police. As hot as the South gets in the summer, such behavior was more practical than odd.

My father has been known to sit in a lawn chair in the front yard after dark. This in itself doesn't sound that strange. However, he was clad in his pajamas and was holding a shotgun in his hands. One might wonder what he was doing. The answer is simple. He was hoping to put a few armadillos out of their misery. Armadillos are notorious for digging up the lawn.

Then there was a substitute teacher that I had in elementary school. She was an older lady with white hair that resembled cotton balls. This teacher wore a scarf around her neck. She used the scarf to pick her nose. Seems she was fond of doing this right before lunch time. Maybe she was just hungry. That behavior helped students to lose weight because it effectively squelched their appetite. Maybe the diet industry could learn a few lessons from her.

When I was in junior high school, I had a headmaster who openly scratched his privates in front of the students. That behavior went beyond being eccentric. It was just plain crude. My sister used to joke that she was going to give him some Cruex for Christmas. Needless to say, he only lasted a few years at the school.

Readers if this blog might ask the question if I think that I am eccentric. The answer is an unqualified "yes." Rather than reveal some of my eccentricities, let me assure everyone that I do not pick my nose, scratch myself, or burp the national anthem in public. I also do not perch on my rooftop at night in an attempt to spot UFO's. On second thought, maybe that last idea isn't such a bad one after all.

4 Comments:

  • At 4:22 PM, Blogger Daniel Berry said…

    I've definitely known my share of eccentrics. I wonder if small towns aren't more conducive to characters like this. When you get "citified," or "civilized," seems like everything becomes more the same.

     
  • At 7:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Please come sit in your pajamas with a shotgun over here to scare away the racoons and possums. They are eating all the figs.

     
  • At 4:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I think we all have some of these ourselves and maybe unwilling to admit to them. I love the nametag 'colorful' as that's exactly what it is. Makes the humdrums go away and tickles one's soul a little. Animals also have their colorful characters too and cause much laughter at their expense. Or maybe they are just clowning around?
    Looking forward to more stories. As Art Linkletter used to say, "People are funny."

     
  • At 11:44 AM, Blogger someone else said…

    My husband and I lived in a small town in Arkansas back in the early 70s. I remember some of these "colorful" people well. I loved the Southern life, as brief as it was, and the people were precious.

    I've enjoyed reading your blog from the beginning posts. I'll be back.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home